This post is a little bit different from my others; it is part of Fair and Feminist’s Blog Carnival and is dedicated to reasons why I stand with Planned Parenthood. In the face of the GOP’s onslaught against the organization, it’s critically important that we all stand with Planned Parenthood now more than ever.
So, without further ado, I stand with Planned Parenthood because….
- PP respects my right to choose when I’ll become a mother
- PP trusts me to make my own decisions about my body
- Of that life-saving pap-smear they gave me when I had no insurance and no money
- PP stands up to threats the size of Oklahoma City just to support my right to choose
- PP doesn’t care if you’re poor, rich, Black, White, Latina, Asian, young, old, gay, straight, able-bodied or not — they’ll provide you with quality healthcare
- PP serves those traditionally underserved by society with primary healthcare
- PP provides medically accurate information on all-things sexual and reproductive health — unlike bastard CPCs
- PP provides a plethora of health services: contraception accounts for 35%; testing for sexually transmitted diseases, 34%; cancer screening and prevention, 17%; abortion only 3%.
- Even if I was part of that 3%, PP would treat me with respect, dignity and without judgment
- Without PP, millions of women — and men — would be without proper reproductive and sexual healthcare
- PP helps prevent hundreds of thousands of unwanted pregnancies every year, helping women live their lives as they otherwise might not be able to
I’m sure there are a million other reasons to stand with Planned Parenthood — so please feel free to add in your reasons in the comment section below!